Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Colleen Howe

Hi Family:I am sitting here at the computer wondering what I have been doing over the past month. I need to keep notes on my calendar! Let's see...April was a big dental bill month for me. One crown broke just after returning from a workshop I had been teaching, so had to return to Salt Lake twice for that,paying them $850 for the privilege. Then a cleaning a week later with x-rays - and a mix up with my insurance, so I had to straighten out the bill to become a non-bill. I have never particular enjoyed going to the dentist, but then I don't think anyone really does, right? When I was young and our dentist was in Dillon, MT, he was a "one man band" there in the gray building with the tower...can't remember the name of the building. Anyway, he had two rooms, but only used one. No receptionist, no assistant - just him, the drill and the spit sink. Back then, dental hygiene wasn't what it is today - I mean, we had toothpaste and all that! But I somehow thought if I brushed my teeth before going up to bed, it was still OK to have a few chocolate chips that I had hoarded in my dresser drawer inside some tin foil shaped like a swan. Well, I later paid dearly for those indulgences by having very large cavities filled with the silver fillings, that 40 years later all gave up and had to be replaced by crowns! Ugh. Lesson here is definitely that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.I have been working here on getting some seeds planted in the garden. Peas, carrots, beets, onions, radishes, cabbage...and I moved some of the raspberry starts to make a new row. Dad is wondering how things are coming, so will have to figure out a way to get him outside to see what he can see soon. I may wait a few more days so that more green will be showing.I have been also working on a fundraiser for the Alliance for the Varied Arts here in Logan. It is May 9th, Saturday, and we are offering classes in watercolor, writing, photography and ceramics. Then in the evening, we are having a very nice dinner with folk artist, Eric Dowdle as speaker. So far, class enrollment is not good! Sign ups for the dinner are doing OK, so we will make one last push for attendance this week.Two Fridays ago I was the featured artist during the Gallery Walk at the Needham's Jewelry store in Logan. Five hundred seemed to be the average attendance (including USU art students assigned to come). I had my easel set up and talked to people about pastel. Sold one painting, so that was a fine thing. I really enjoy doing this type of demonstrating. I am teaching here on Tuesday nights, and I enjoy that as well.Recently I babysat Harrison for Jordan and Annie. He is a tractor aficionado, and takes one to bed with him at night. Jackson is enjoying pre-school and transformers and Alex takes it all in with great cuteness.Glenn has been here for the last couple of days while Dick went to pick up Adam at the airport, then drive to Heidi's for a short visit. I will let him tell you about his adventures going and coming. They are back here now (Sunday eve. May 3rd) and we will celebrate Dick's birthday tomorrow and Dad's (Grandpa's) on the 5th. Glenn and I made a chocolate cake from a Daughters of the Utah Pioneers cookbook. We will give it the taste test tomorrow and maybe include the recipe in next month's newsletter. Glenn was telling me that when he was young, he was afraid of wolves. (So was I.) For some unknown reason, we kept listening to recordings of various fairy tales, such as "Peter and the Wolf." We decided that all these old fairy tales are really not good for children! One night Glenn was particularly afraid to go to bed and kept going into Grandma and Grandpa's bedroom, hoping they would take him in. Instead, Grandpa went to the gun cabinet, took out a rifle (unloaded of course) and let Glenn keep it by his bed! Glenn said it helped him feel safe...but he was only about 4 years old or so! No more wolf stories!Hope everyone is well. Stop by anytime that you can. We would love a visit!Love, Colleen and Grandpa

No comments: